Case Analysis Assignment
(The assignment is due at the beginning of class on the due date. Your report should run not less than 1000 words. I will accept papers up to any length)
Each of you is being assigned a case to review, brief, and analyze. Please see the list of assigned cases within this tab. Most of the cases are referenced in the text. For, particularly, longer cases, I have prepared for your review redacted versions of the opinions, that is, partial, rather than complete opinions. In completing this analysis, your task is, essentially, to summarize and discuss the assigned opinion. The text of all the opinions appear under the Blackboard tab labeled “Case Assignments”.
The goal of this assignment is for you to gain experience briefing a court ruling.
Your analysis should include, but need not be limited to the following:
- Caption. Provide the title of the case, the court, and the citation (for example, International Shoe v. State of Washington, 326 U.S. 310 (U.S. Supreme Court, 1945)).
- Parties. Identify the parties to the case and their position within the case. Identify the plaintiff and the defendant. If the case is on appeal, identify the appellant and the appellee.
- Facts of the case. Describe what transpired between the parties involved before the case was brought to the court. Reference the most material facts.
- Jurisdiction. Indicate the jurisdiction in which the case arises. That is, indicate which court is ruling on the case. Indicate which jurisdiction’s laws are being applied.
- Applicable law. What law does the court apply? If the court is applying a statute to determine the case, cite the statute.
- Issues. What questions are addressed by court in the case?
- Holding. What is the decision of the court?
- Rationale. What is the court’s reason for holding as it does?
- Analysis. Provide your thoughts on court’s decision. Do you agree or disagree with the opinion of the court? Why? What is the significance of the case? If there are dissenting opinions in the case, what do you think about the dissents?
please provide your completed case analysis. Please include your name. Your analysis should be typed and presented on 81⁄2 x 11-inch paper. You may either single or double space as you desire. Please allow one-inch margins to the right and left (in order that I have space for margin notes).